Letter From the CEO
After nearly two years of collaborative discussion and planning, the partnership between Ochsner and LSU Health Shreveport has taken effect and will benefit patients, physicians, medical students and communities throughout north Louisiana.
We are excited about this partnership and know we can do more for the communities in Shreveport and Monroe by working together. As true partners, we have the power to change and save more lives and excitedly anticipate growing in North Louisiana.
The Power of ONE Partnership
Through months of strategic planning by our combined teams, we have identified joint priorities and areas of focus to ensure we meet both the current and future healthcare needs of our families, our friends and our neighbors. Together, we have committed that the new health system will:
- Improve current facilities including renovating select operating rooms and the surgical intensive care unit in Shreveport.
- Make technology enhancements such as improving the functionality of the electronic medical record for better coordination of care and to provide centralized, online appointment scheduling.
- Develop people and programs to improve quality and outcomes including launching a hospitalist program to provide additional care for our inpatients and more effective coordination with their primary care and specialty physicians.
- Improve access to care by opening new facilities outside of the current campuses, such as an ambulatory care clinic, diagnostic imaging center, urgent care clinics and community-based primary care clinics, and recruiting new physicians to support specialized needs.
- Advance digital and telehealth capabilities as well as post-acute care to provide new options in north Louisiana.
- Emphasize a strong focus on community health and well-being by broadening our primary care network, implementing programs that empower patients to stay healthy while managing chronic disease, expanding preventive screenings and developing new community partnerships.
A New Frontier for Research and Education
Our intent is to grow Medical and Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs at both Ochsner and LSU Health Shreveport to recruit top candidates and train more healthcare providers, and through our combined research programs, have an even greater impact on the future of healthcare in our state and nation.
Together we plan to expand the medical school in Shreveport from 126 to 150 students annually. The partnership will also provide the stability and the opportunity to invest in new technology and clinical care training that will strengthen recruiting and help make this a top-tier program in the region.
Between the 570 residents at LSU and the more than 500 at Ochsner, we will be the largest educator of physicians in the state. We will also expand GME programs between LSU and Ochsner in Family Medicine, Nuclear Medicine, Pathology and Physical Medicine and Rehab. We will coordinate with nursing schools in north Louisiana and LSU Health-Shreveport’s allied health programs to better support the state’s healthcare workforce demand.
Our combined research program will give us the ability to conduct clinical trials at Ochsner LSU Health System of North Louisiana and Ochsner, along with the opportunity to attract new funding to make these trials more accessible to more patients across Louisiana. Expanding the Ochsner Phase 1 Clinical Cancer Trials and Precision Cancer Therapies Program, for example, will provide in-state options for more patients with terminal cancer and limited treatment options. And our plans to establish a Health Service Research Center of Excellence focused on patient-centered outcomes research will combine the world-class basic science research and clinical strengths of each institution to innovate and discover new therapies for our patients.
Our Path Forward, Together
We have a bold vision for the future, encompassing the true 50/50 spirit of our partnership and deep commitment to work together to improve healthcare services, enhance medical education and advance critical research in our state. Our partnership signifies a fresh start, and we are proud to begin this journey as we work to advance healthcare in north Louisiana.
Chief Executive Officer
Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport
Committed to transforming healthcare in Louisiana, Ochsner and LSU Health Shreveport have formed a new health system to oversee and coordinate activities between the health sciences center and the healthcare delivery system.
Under the new structure, Ochsner will bring their nationally-recognized expertise to the management of operations for partner hospitals in Shreveport and Monroe, clinics and the clinical activity of the LSUHSC-S Faculty Group Practice. LSU will continue to successfully oversee the LSUHSC-S School of Medicine, School of Allied Health Professions, School of Graduate Studies and Graduate Medical Education and maintain their commitment to train the nation’s finest healthcare professionals.
Working together, the partners plan to strengthen and grow the medical school and training programs, collaborate to expand research in the state, and improve access to high-quality care for patients in Shreveport and Monroe.
Jobs & Careers
Excellence, compassion, and a lifetime of career opportunities can be found at Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport. Every team member helps us fulfill our mission to teach, heal, and discover with our academic partner to advance the health and well-being with our community.